corpus-paul - Re: Pneuma vs psyche (was Christ's resurrection 'body')

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Chris Cutler" <Chrisc AT powercall.co.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pneuma vs psyche (was Christ's resurrection 'body')
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 22:06:32 +0100

> John:
> [snip} ...It
> would be simplistic to read into the use of the PNEUMA cognate an
existence
> that is 'spirit-alone' (as opposed to corporeal). That Paul can call
> breathing people PNEUMATIKOS (1 Cor 12:1; 14:37) prior to death (let
alone
> resurrection) should cause us to hesitate giving the term too much
> (English) force in chapter 15.

Chris:
I am not a Greek scholar, so much of your post is lost on me. Would someone
be kind enough to give me their thoughts as to why Paul chose to use the
term PNEUMA to represent his "inner man" when, since the Orphics and Plato
the term PSYCHE had denoted the divine principle in us?

Thank you.

Chris Cutler
"Auditeur Libre"

What liberates is the knowledge of who we were, what we became; where we
were, whereinto we have been thrown; whereto we speed, wherefrom we are
redeemmed; what birth is, and what rebirth." (Exc. Theod. 78.2)

  • Re: Pneuma vs psyche (was Christ's resurrection 'body'), Chris Cutler, 04/07/1999