ch-scene - stuff to do, week of December 15, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of December 15, 2010
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 22:02:05 -0500

Wednesday, December 15
Johnny Irion
Chatham County Line (http://www.chathamcountyline.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Wednesday, December 15
iamDynamite
Dirty Slang
Mumu Tutu (http://www.mumututu.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 16
Last Year's Men (http://www.myspace.com/lastyearsmenband)
Los Naturales
All Day Records, Carrboro

This is an early (8-ish) show to kickoff these guys' Winter Break Tour. Last Year's Men were my favorite live band of 2010, hands down, and their debut album, Sunny Down Snuff (LP-only, so it's fitting they're playing All Day Records) will likely wind up top-3, once I get around to making a list.

Thursday, December 16
Christmas at the Cradle (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/index2.html)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is the severalth-annual Trekky Records Christmas at the Cradle. This year's lineup is particularly enticing:

The Trekky Yuletide Orchestra
The dB's
The Old Ceremony
Filthybird
Phil Cook and His Feat
The Tender Fruit
Yardwork
Cassis Orange
In The Year Of The Pig
Hosted by Billy Sugarfix

Thursday, December 16
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Wild Wild Geese (http://www.myspace.com/wildwildgeesemusic)
The Pinkerton Raid
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Gray Young just released their second album, Staysail, which is distinguished from their first primarily via the appearance of banjo on a couple of songs. Other than that, it's more of the strummy shoegazey tom-tom-heavy post-Cure dreampop you know & love.

Thursday, December 16
Brainbows (http://myspace.com/wearebrainbows)
Spiralfire (http://www.reverbnation.com/spiralfire)
Temporary Empire (http://www.reverbnation.com/temporaryempire)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 16
The Beast
Peter Lamb & the Wolves
Matt Douglas
Bryan Costello
Kings, Raleigh

This is the New Raleigh blog Xmas Party, which will also involve comedy (or wait, given who it is, make that "comedy") from Trent Bowles & magic from the one & only Magic Mike. Plus acrobats & AV Geeks.

Thursday, December 16
Shake it Like a Caveman (http://www.shakeitlikeacaveman.com/)
The Hag (http://www.myspace.com/thehagmusic)
Deluxe Handcuffs (http://www.myspace.com/deluxehandcuffs)
Cracker Creeptacular (http://www.myspace.com/crackercreeptacular)
The Pinhook, Durham

Friday, December 17
The Dynamite Brothers (http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/)
The Venables (http://www.myspace.com/thevenables)
The Dex Romweber Duo (http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artist/dex-romweber-duo)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

White-hot R&B/rockabilly/boogie guitar & drums mayhem with the Dex Romweber Duo & the Dynamite Brothers.

Friday, December 17
The Mountain Goats (http://www.themountaingoats.net/)
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
Phil Cook and his Feat
Kings, Raleigh

This was billed as "Brome for the Holidays," but there is no truth to the rumor that you will have to grow out a massive beard, and/or do unspeakable things to/with/for Grayson Currin or Brad Cook, in order to gain admission.

Mountain Goats are JD solo, and it's a benefit for the Autism Society of NC, and that's about all you need to know.

Friday, December 17
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
The Whisky Smugglers
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, December 17
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Big Picture
Mark Holland
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The Big Picture is a Trekky offshoot/supergroup with members of the Never & various other Trekky bands.

Friday, December 17
The Connells (http://www.theconnells.com/)
Colourslide
The Dune Dogs (http://www.thedunedogs.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, December 17
Larry Keel and Natural Bridge
The Casbah, Durham

Saturday, December 18
Don Dixon (http://www.myspace.com/dondixonsmusic)
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
BJ Barham
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, December 18
Fontana (http://www.myspace.com/fontana1)
John Howie, Jr. & The Rosewood Bluff (http://www.myspace.com/rosewoodbluff)
Tonk
The Casbah, Durham

A fabulous night of revisionist honky-tonk via Raleigh's Tonk (featuring ex-members of Confessor, Motocaster, the Ashley Stove & more), The Rosewood Bluff (one of two concurrent John Howie bands), and Durham's own weird expansive space-country band Fontana.

Saturday, December 18
Mosadi Music (http://www.mosadimusic.com/)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
HOG
Cassis Orange
The Pinhook, Durham

This is the postponed Night Three of the Great Band Swap (moved from the Saturday 2 weeks ago, when it snowed all day but the roads never slicked up, to this Saturday, when, well, who knows). A refresher on The Deal: in addition to a short set of their own music, each band must also play at least 1 song by each of the other 3 bands on the bill.

So yeah, everybody's eagerly awaiting the HOG < -- > Cassis Orange collision. Will antimatter be formed? Will the universe implode?

Saturday, December 18
S.C.O.T.S. (http://www.scots.com/)
The Mad Tea Party (http://www.themadteaparty.com/)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Sunday, December 19
The Proclivities (http://www.myspace.com/theproclivities)
Jeanne Jolly
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Sunday, December 19
Michael Holland (http://www.bigjohnsrecords.com)
Big Fat Gap (http://www.bigfatgap.com/)
Greg Humphreys
Lizzy Ross (http://www.reverbnation.com/lizzyross)
The Dogwoods
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, December 19
Evil Wiener (http://www.evilwienerworld.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

It's the Evil Weiner Christmas Show! I'll never forget the year that Chuck threw a huge fit about not wanting to wear a Santa suit. Or something. I dunno. Maybe that was every year.

Anyway, as I'm sure I've mentioned before, Evil Wiener own the holiday beat around these parts, and they put on about the most lovably skewed tribute to any/all holidays you can imagine. If you haven't heard Silent Night played on a theremin, well, now's your chance.

Seriously, though, the song "All Around the World" from the Evil Wiener Christmas Single, way back in the 90s, is still quite possibly the greatest rock-era Christmas song of all time. Listen here: http://www.thinkingabouttheneedle.com/releases/tatn-001-the-evil-wiener-christmas-ep
... and then please buy your sweetie a copy. For Christmas! With the radio on.

I suppose I could/should point out that I'm totally atheist *and* I can't stand gift-giving, yet I love everything about Evil Weiner, including this annual event.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of December 15, 2010, Ross Grady, 12/14/2010