ch-scene - [Internationalist] Events at Internationalist Books (11/22-11/30)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Events at Internationalist Books (11/22-11/30)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 16:40:31 -0500

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Whether or not you celebrate Thanksgiving, the managers at Internationalist Books would like to express our heartfelt thanks for the support of volunteers and members over the past year. Y'all rock!

Now on to the Events!!

**TONIGHT** TUESDAY NOVEMBER 22 @ 7pm
QUEER NEGATION TOUR
It has been 20 years since the publication "Queers Read This" inspired a movement of queers supporting and fighting for life, stolen by the aids epidemic. 3 years ago a group named Bash Back emerged out of the failures of the gay and lesbian rights movement only to fall apart in the 3rd year of existence. The discussion being lead by the Queer Negation Tour will be how to keep the polemics given to us by Bash Back and Act-Up alive. And the consequences of basing movements off of a potential Future.

Catastrophe is over. The end has come and past. The Queer Negation tour will be tracing 2 lines of thought on the topic of the post-end. One will be elaborating queer action/theory in a post-end world. The other; also starting from the position of the post end; will discuss the negative feminisms that will emerge in life after death. Through a combination of theory, poetry, multi-media/perfomance art, and skillshares, we will discuss how to live now that death has passed us."

Presented by Ariel A. (Gender Mutiny), Heather T. (Filth and Glitter, public sex association), and Zachary G. (local hero)

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 26 ALL DAY
BUY NOTHING DAY AT INTERNATIONALIST BOOKS
In response to the consumer-driven post-Thanksgiving shop-ocolypse known as Black Friday, Internationalist Books will open its doors to those who would like to BUY NOTHING! We will be having skill shares, arts and crafts, board games, and even some snacks! Come by with any projects you are working on or with any skills you would like to share with others in a comfortable relaxed setting. Don't contend with the shopping mob, come have a fun day at I-Books making and learning things for free :)

Schedule of Events:
12-2: Soul Collages with Jennifer - A creative way to express your feelings through collage, meditation and writing.
2-3: Clothing and Book Swap - Bring clothes or books to swap!
3-5: Arts and Crafts - Learn how to sew, crochet, make a wave machine, bring anything crafty you're working on!
6-8: Board Games & Snacks! - Come to play or bring your own games. Snacks provided, as well as a peppermint bark workshop!
8-10: Movie! - The Story of Stuff, Josie and the Pussycats

(I also wanted to pass along word of an event in Asheville coming up on December 1)
Asheville 11 Solidarity Actions! Asheville @ 5pm
On December 1 in Asheville, a march will take place against the criminalization of youth and the policing of downtown. Meet at the Vance Memorial in Pack Square at 5 pm to march to the jail; a spirited rally will follow. Everyone is welcome to participate!

If you don't live in Asheville and cannot attend the march, please use this opportunity to put up posters bringing attention to the arrestees' plight, or to write a letter to the Asheville Citizen-Times demanding that the charges be dropped, or to take other steps to spread awareness of the case and show support for the defendants. Once again, if you learn of a solidarity action worth reporting, please make a statement about it on the internet so others can see how many people care about the outcome of this case.

Visit www.asheville11defense.com or www.internationalistbooks.org for more info on the Asheville 11

Also, Internationalist Books has been in the news lately. Here's a link to an article in Carrboro Commons:
http://www.carrborocommons.org/2010/11/23/internationalist-books-stays-true-to-its-radical-roots/

Thanks for reading, have a safe and happy holiday and as always we hope to see you at an event soon!

Laurin@IBooks
Outreach Coordinator

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: