ch-scene - Dorkfest 3 - This Saturday, April 19

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Anne Gomez <annemgomez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: altmusic chapelhill <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Dorkfest 3 - This Saturday, April 19
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:49:20 -0400

8:00 pm, Broad Street Cafe, $7. Host: Builly Sugarfix.
(http://www.thebroadstreetcafe.com/, http://www.myspace.com/billysugarfix)
Line-up (in reverse order of appearance, i.e., Dexter Romweber is last):
Dexter Romweber and the New RomansThe Scott Waite DebacleVeronique
DiaboliqueThe Late Virginia SummersCalabi YauLAM! LAM!Dave and the Z-Tones
What it is: This is the third annual Dorkfest, a musical celebration of the
fearless and the unique. (http://www.myspace.com/dorkfest3). Past festivals
have included bands like Robo Sapien, Bombadil, The Clang Quartet, and Eyes
to Space. What exactly is a dork and what "qualifies" a band to participate?
That's hard to put into words. As Potter Stewart said about obscenity in
pornography: "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of
material I understand to be embraced . . . [b]ut I know it when I see it . .
. ." Who they are: Dexter Romweber and the New Romans - Dexter Romweber sold
his soul at the crossroads when he was three years old in exchange for the
voice of an angel and the guitar acumen of Lucifer himself. The New Romans
are the 10-piece posse that Dex is indoctrinating into his hedonistic abyss
of demon rock-n-roll. The Scott Waite Debacle - Scott moved here from Seattle
a year or two ago because he felt that this area did not have enough
prog/psychedelia with a touch of jazz fusion. To fill the deficit, he
immediately set out to find some fellow travellers, and thankfully, now that
this band exists, we are in musical balance again.
(http://www.myspace.com/thescottwaitedebacle). Veronique Diabolique -
sometimes they look classy, sometimes they look scary, and sometimes they
look downright slutty. They play morose and/or jangly "goth" overlain by the
sultry vocal stylings of Domique Diabolique. They have performed at every
Dorkfest, which is understandable because they have a song about Derrida, fer
chrissake. (http://www.myspace.com/veroniquediabolique). The Late Virginia
Summers - I've never seen Virginians TLVS, but they come highly recommended
and have overlap in members with one of my favorite
bands-that-can-get-an-entire-audience-to-bang-on-broken-cymbals-and-tamborines,
A New Dawn Fades. Besides the humans in the band, TLVS list "sawhorse with
cookware lids," "sheet metal," and "elementary bell kit" as band members,
thus beginning the new trend of smacking your band members during a show for
musical affect, rather than because they screwed up.
(http://www.myspace.com/tlvs). Calabi Yau - Charlotte's Calbi Yau, in their
own estimation, sound like "a polite goat caught in a mirthful threshing
machine." I think they sound like the Minutemen are having a hockey game
with the Ruins, then there's a brawl on the ice, and all the spectators throw
marshmellow peeps and the hockey players fall on their asses. Or maybe that
was some weird dream I had. (http://www.myspace.com/calabiyau). LAM! LAM! -
is Betsy Shane, the flower of Durham, unleashing her inner Borderline-era
Madonna, with spicier riffs, better dance moves, and a sassier 'tude.
(http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband) Dave and the Z-Tones: is me, Dave
Zielinski, and Doug VonCannon doing our heartfelt versions of three cover
songs (each band member picked one) on drums, clarinet, sax, and keyboard.
(http://www.myspace.com/daveandtheztones). ***NOTE THAT DAVE AND THE Z-TONES
ARE STARTING RIGHT AT 8 (OR VERY SHORTLY THEREAFTER) AND ONLY PLAYING FOR 10
OR 15 MINUTES SO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO MISS OUR SPECTACULAR DEBUT AND POSSIBLY
ONE-TIME PERFORMANCE, YOU HAVE TO GET THERE ON TIME.*** ***ALSO NOTE THAT
THERE IS A BEST-DRESSED DORK CONTEST AT 10:00. WHO KNOWS, MAYBE YOU'LL WIN
WITHOUT EVEN DRESSING UP.***

***SORRY IF YOU'RE GETTING WORD OF THIS SHOW MORE THAN ONCE. JUST WANTED TO
MAKE SURE WORD GOT OUT.*** Hope to see you there! Anne
“Once conform, once do what others do because they do it, and a kind
of lethargy steals over all the finer senses of the soul.”
- Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

“Is life not a hundred times too short for us to stifle ourselves?”
- Friedrich Nietzsche

“I’m not like everybody else.”
- The Kinks