ch-scene - Girls Rock NC - Silent Auction Fundraiser (4/19/08)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "martin hall" <mdhall005 AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Girls Rock NC - Silent Auction Fundraiser (4/19/08)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:05:29 -0400

FYI...fun times for a fun cause coming up this weekend...

-5er

FROM: Amelia V.B. Shull

Hi everyone!

We're very excited to announce Girls Rock
NC<http://girlsrocknc.blogspot.com/>'s
(http://girlsrocknc.blogspot.com/) first annual Silent Auction on Saturday,
April 19th from 7-9pm on the lovely porch of Durham's Parker and
Otis<http://www.parkerandotis.com/>(
http://www.parkerandotis.com/). The event will feature food and wine from
local vendors, music from Rebecca and the Hi-Tones, campers sharing their
stories about their camp experiences, and some incredible arts, crafts and
services from the triangle's creative community up for auction! We're
hoping that at least 100 people attend, and we're asking $10 at the door.
We'll be there to enjoy each other's company, bid on incredible donated
items and services, and answer any questions you may have about our
programs, and how you can get involved! Here's what's up for auction,
courtesy of our amazing donors:

- A YEAR'S WORTH of drum lessons (valued at $2000! )
- 4 guitar lessons
- First 45" record ever released by the Indigo Girls signed by both
Amy and Emily (donated by Amy Ray for our auction!)
- Collectors Edition Janis Joplin records
- 3 family photo shoots at Bogart & Bogart Photography including 8x10
portrait prints (valued at $650 each)
- Hot Stone Massage (Julie Milton)
- Asheville Mountain Cabin for a week!
- Night at Rosemary House Bed & Breakfast in Pittsboro
- Dinner at Piedmont
- Dinner at Lantern
- Artwork by Katy Clove, Cheryl Pou, Jean LeCluyse, Charon Andrews,
Julie Jones, Courtney Chappell, Tama Hochbaum, Pam George, Mark Cunningham,
Rose Rosely and more
- Personal Chef services by Shirle' at Four Corners Cuisine
- $300 Gift Certificate from Jewelsmiths
- Two framed posters from Somerhill Gallery (valued at $275 each)
- Purse and Bag from Details
- 20 DVDs from Avid Video
- Assorted gifts from Cozy
- 9th Street Dance Class coupon
- Manbites Dog Theater Tickets
- Gift Certificate to Pops
- Family Pass to NC State Museum of Natural Sciences (with Dino
Backpacks!)

We'll also have fabulous new Girls Rock NC T-shirts for sale!

2008 is our fifth year of programs, and Girls Rock NC has grown from a one
week camp for 24 girls to four full programs for almost 100 girls, and is an
official nonprofit organization. With the money raised from the auction
we should be able to provide our goal of eight full scholarships this
summer. With any extra money raised we'll begin to build our year-round
programming which will include after school music lessons/facilitated band
practice and a lending library that includes music, books and instruments
for girls in our program (remember, our programs are open to any 7-17 year
old girl that wants to participate--no experience or equipment necessary--
that's why we want to provide for them)!
In other news, co-directors Abby Pearce, Beth Mosher and I just attended
the Girls Rock Camp Alliance <http://www.girlsrockcamp.org/supporters/grca>(
http://www.girlsrockcamp.org/supporters/grca) conference in New York where
we shared ideas and inspiration with Rock Camp organizers from around the
world (in Sweden the government funds the Girl's Rock Camp! Must be nice!).
We've returned energized, motivated and absolutely blown away by the
potential this young feminist movement has to change the world. This year
it's 1500 girls going to rock camp around the world, next year who knows?
With the support of the creative community at large there are more and more
camps forming each year. Imagine tens of thousands of girls entering adult
society who truly believe in themselves and are absolutely unafraid to make
their voices heard.

In short, we're excited. Spread the word, and spend a little time on our
website!

Also, Memorial Day weekend will bring the first ever Women's Rock Retreat
Weekend-- yep. A rock camp for women 21 and over. Learn more about it (and
know that it's filling up quickly---only 12 spots!) and join us in our
excitement at Parker & Otis on April 19th.

In rock,

Amelia V.B. Shull
Executive Director, Girls Rock NC

--

www.myspace.com/girlsrocknc
www.girlsrocknc.org

  • Girls Rock NC - Silent Auction Fundraiser (4/19/08), martin hall, 04/15/2008