ch-scene - stuff to do, week of April 12, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of April 12, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:32:18 -0400

Saturday, April 12
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Guitar. Drums. What more do you need?

Saturday, April 12
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Horseback (http://www.myspace.com/horsebacknoise)
Nick Schillace (http://www.burlytime.com/artists/)
Eric Carbonara (http://ericcarbonara.org/)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is a CD-release for Detroiter Nick Schillace, who somehow hooked up with Durham's Burly Time Records. Also on the bill, the reclusive Horseback, the gorgeous drone project of the ever-busy Jenks Miller. And Megafaun, of course, who'll doubtless be asking you to sing & play with them, so don't act surprised when it happens.

Saturday, April 12
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
Caleb Caudle & The Bayonets
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 12
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 12
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Guitar Bomb (http://www.guitarbomb.com)
Claws of Paradise (http://www.clawsofparadise.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, April 13
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

This is the third time in a row that I've managed to book a band to play on the day after another gig. Thus far results have been mixed; the first band was kinda worn down, but then the second band was if anything *more* perky than normal.

Megafaun are such innate performers--the kind of folks whom you could easily imagine singing & playing their way through most of their daily activities, like a Hollywood musical, only with much more facial hair--that I suspect they'll just do what they always do, which is to play, beautifully.

If you come stand outside the station, they'll probably hand you some petit percussion and invite you in. 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Monday, April 14
Salt to Bitters (http://www.myspace.com/salttobitters)
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a 506 Free For All, which means that the admission and the secondhand smoke are both free.

Monday, April 14
Mowgli (http://www.myspace.com/mowglimowgli)
Church of the Snake (http://www.myspace.com/churchofthesnake)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, April 15
Bibis Ellison (http://www.myspace.com/bibisellison)
Tigersaw (http://www.tigersaw.com)
Cathy Catholic
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, April 15
snmnmnm (http://www.snmnmnm.com/)
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
American Princes (http://www.americanprinces.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, April 15
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com)
Fuse, Chapel Hill

You've got the rural Orange County meets Velvet Underground vibe of Twilighter, and the stripped down garage-soul of the Dirty Little Heaters. Blow yr refund.

Tuesday, April 15
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
The Amino Acids (http://www.myspace.com/theaminoacids)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Wednesday, April 16
Endless Mic (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/endlessmic.html)
Edward Teach
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, April 17
Shakermaker (http://shakermaker.org/)
Hundred Air (http://www.myspace.com/hundredair)
Wembley (http://www.myspace.com/wembleystadium)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for local indie-rockers Shakermaker. They're joined by Wembley, which is the semi-reclusive current project of ex-Laramie UK mainman Neven Carswell, and Hundred Air, the excellent country-rockish outfit fronted by Adam Price (ex-Comas, ex-Mayflies USA).

Thursday, April 17
Whale Watchers
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, April 17
Grass Widow (http://www.myspace.com/grasswidow)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Pinche Gringo is a one-man garage-band from Mexico City. The stuff I just listened to was less dissolute than Jandek, but pretty ramshackle nonetheless. I saw a photo on his MySpace which implied that he mounts his snare sideways & plays it with a kick-pedal. Genius!

Friday, April 18
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Friday, April 18
Jeffrey Dean Foster (http://www.jeffreydeanfoster.com/)
Jeff Hart & the Damage Done (http://myspace.com/youngneilthedamagedone)
Bill Noonan (http://www.myspace.com/billnoonanband)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

A combined 70 years of experience playing original music in & around North Carolina; here's Jeff Hart with the details:

jeffrey dean foster
winston-salem's jeffrey dean foster led the highly acclaimed roots rock ensemble right profile in the mid 1980s and later the carneys, the pinetops and currently his birds of prey with sara bell. his soul roots music has been compared to the band, springsteen and alex chilton's best.

the bill noonan band
while making his mark with charlotte's rank outsiders (former partner gigi dover is now on her own) bill noonan's lately been operating from aregion he likes to call "catawba city" down roughly the same way. his brand of twang is accentuated by a lot of twin guitar workouts with "country bill" walpole on pedal steel and slide guitar. his song "big river" is as lovely and wide in scope as anything you'll hear on popular radio these days. think steve earle with especially stinging guitar work.

jeff hart
ok. this is me. this is our first show of 2008 with our new lineup (jim mcphail still on drums, chad johnson moving to bass and our new guitarist rocky colavito). we still bring the rootsier edges of the guitar pop equation that the byrds, big star, brinsley schwartz and the kinks perfected.

Friday, April 18
All Your Science
Pedals on Our Pirate Ships (http://www.myspace.com/pedalsonourpirateships)
Dead Mechanical
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Also playing: "Colin's Black Metal Banjo Project!!"

Friday, April 18
The Strugglers (http://www.thestrugglers.org/)
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the long-awaited Strugglers album "The Latest Rights." It has been sitting in a can for quite a while now, so I dunno whether Randy et al are still in the headspace they were in when it was recorded. In any case, it's a bit poppier and has little '70s soul flourishes that might appall those folks who want Randy to stay a warbly-voiced depressive forever.

Friday, April 18
Building the State (http://www.myspace.com/buildingthestate)
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
Swan Quarter (http://www.myspace.com/swanquarter)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Friday, April 18
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

New Town Drunks are, as the name implies, troubadours of booze & dissolution. Pinche Gringo is, as mentioned earlier, a one-man garage-band from Mexico City. It's unclear why he's playing 2 shows in the Triangle, but I think we should clearly reward whatever misconception led him to book his tour this way.

Friday, April 18
The Poonhounds
The Delta Drift (http://deltadrift.com)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

The Poonhounds involve longtime Raleigh rocker/soundman Jac Cain, who ran the Brewery stage with an iron fist in the '90s and currently does the same at the Pour House. I'm going to go out on a limb & guess that their name is descriptive enough.

Saturday, April 19
The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers (http://www.prayersandtears.com/)
Water Callers
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
Harmute (http://www.myspace.com/harmute)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a benefit for Carrboro micropower radio station WCOM, and yes, I'm still mildly irritated that they went for WCOM, for community, as if they're the only community-oriented radio station in the eastern half of the United States, as opposed to, say, WCBO.

Anyway. Here's a complete lineup, pasted straight from the Cradle's website, and no, I dunno what's up with the weird timings:

8pm Stranger Spirits
8:30pm The Water Callers
8:45pm Harmute
9:30pm Prayers And Tears Of Arthur Digby Sellers
9:45pm - 10:45pm Sweater Weather
11:00pm Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies
11:45pm Crash and DJ Trizzak (till 1 AM)

Saturday, April 19
Calabi Yau (http://www.calabiyau.org)
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
Dexter Romweber and the New Romans (http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber)
The Scott Waite Debacle (http://myspace.com/scottwaiteisbenevolent)
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is the third in what has become an annual ritual: Dorkfest. It was originally assembled by the folks in Veronique Diabolique as a sort of defiant union of local nerd-rockers (like the now-defunct space-synthers Eyes to Space), but this year it seems to have expanded in a variety of directions, to encompass the one-woman electroclash jamz of Lam! Lam!, the freakish mathematical scribblescrobble rock of Charlotte's Calabi Yau, and the Dexter Romweber big band the New Romans.

Also on the bill but not listed above: The Late Virginia Summers, Dave and the Z-Tones, and emcee Billy Sugarfix.

Saturday, April 19
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
Robo Sapien (http://www.gorobosapien.com/)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the new Bellafea CD "Cavalcade," which comes 3+ years after the release of their last record. They're joined by the uber-heavy gtr/drums duo Curtains of Night, and loopy hip-hop duo Robo Sapien.

Saturday, April 19
Seth Kauffman (http://www.sethkauffman.com/)
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Soft Company are a crazy local supergroup, buncha folks from bands like Audubon Park, Hotel Motel & Piedmont Charisma, all assembled to the admirable end of showcasing the odd piano-driven popsong stylings of Erin Ridings.

Americans in France are a garagey three-piece who spent more time setting up a video projector than they did playing, the one time I saw them, which is maybe OK because at least they give a shit about what people look at while they're playing. They just need to hire an AV Geek.

Seth Kauffman put out a nutty mid-fi soul/funk album a couple of years ago called "Ting"; it was unexpected & great.

Sunday, April 20
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
The Little Ones (http://www.wearethelittleones.com/)
Ra Ra Riot (http://www.myspace.com/rarariot)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, April 20
Sorry About Dresden (http://www.sorryaboutdresden.com)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
The Future of the Ghost (http://www.myspace.com/thefutureoftheghost)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sorry About Dresden have actually played around enough lately that I'm starting to believe drummer James Hepler's steadfast claims that they're still a fully-operational band. I guess the next step would be another great SAD album . . .

Monday, April 21
The Forms (http://www.theforms.org)
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
Cloud Cult (http://www.myspace.com/cloudcult)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sweater Weather put out a great lush obsessive-sounding album last year, "Now Everyone Can Sing," that was equal measures texture, catharsis, huge singalong sections, and frontman Casey Trela's intensely introspective lyrics about his relationships with God, and others.

Monday, April 21
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Michale Graves (http://michalegraves.net)
Sharpie Riot (http://myspace.com/sharpieriot)
TV9 Solo
Anathema Device
Marvell Building, Durham

Monday, April 21
Nudity (http://www.myspace.com/nuditytheband)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of April 12, 2008, grady, 04/12/2008