ch-scene - stuff to do, week of April 4, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of April 4, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 18:41:31 -0400

Friday, April 4
Vetiver (http://www.vetiverse.com)
Gary Louris (http://www.myspace.com/garylouris)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I'm told everybody in the room cried like a baby last time Vetiver came through town, so maybe it's not even necessary to point out their local connection -- at least half of 'em are from Greensboro, including frontman Andy Cabic (ex-Raymond Brake) and guitarist Sanders Trippe (ex-Rebar).

Gary Louris was in the Jayhawks.

Friday, April 4
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Airspace (http://www.myspace.com/airspacemusic)
Israel Darling (http://www.myspace.com/israeldarling)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Polynya merge the longtime Smiths/Cure obsessions of some of their members with a lighter, breezier synth-pop sound -- think little dashes of Stereolab or even Pizzicato Five.

Friday, April 4
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Shapiro (http://www.shapiropeople.com)
The Chuttesville Speak
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

I'm told the Chuttesville Speak[s] involves members of Sweater Weather.

Friday, April 4
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Howlin' Rain (http://www.birdmanrecords.com/howlinrain/index.html)
Nightstick (http://www.myspace.com/nightstickband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, April 4
Dexter Romweber and the New Romans (http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Dexter's New Romans are his big band, with brass section, keys, multiple guitars & percussion. At their best, they're how his music was always meant to be heard.

Friday, April 4
Sir Arthur and His Royal Knights (http://mannsworld.blogspot.com/2007/08/sir-arthur-his-royal-knights.html)
Rocket Cottage
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, April 5 - Sunday, April 6
Durham Art Walk (http://www.durhamartwalk.com/performers.php)
various downtown venues, Durham

The Durham Art Walk is one of those all-over-downtown events with a lot of open galleries, and a few stages scattered around downtown with live music. It runs Saturday and Sunday. A full lineup can be found here. The highlight for folks in search of, um, "rock" would definitely be Saturday afternoon at CCB Plaza, right there in front of Major The Bull, so named because of his Major Testicles. Saturday afternoon's lineup:

2pm - 2:30pm Girls Rock NC - teen indie rock
2:30pm - 3pm Eclipse Productions - modern ballet with a hip, hop flair
3pm- 4pm Future Kings of Nowhere – acousticore
4pm - 5pm Minnie Skirt and the Bootlegs – neo-funk and soul
5:15pm - 6:15pm Water Callers – Americana
6:30pm - 7:30pm Dom Casual – indie rock

You oughta also check the schedule for other interesting stuff, including the Soundpainting Orchestra on Sunday morning, and a second Girls Rock NC show at some point.

Saturday, April 5
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Wil Donegan and the Apologies
Billy Warden & the Floating Children
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a farewell party for Schoolkids Records, which has left East Franklin Street after 33 years. In addition to the bands listed above, you've got North Elementary, Michael Rank & Mark E. Smith of Snatches of Pink, ColaSC's Heist & the Accomplice, and (apparently) more. All the proceeds go to Orange County Elementary Music Program.

And yes, you read that correctly: Legendary Triangle band Billy Warden & the Floating Children are reuniting to play this show! They go on first, at 5:00, so don't be late.

Saturday, April 5
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is a triple-CD release party for Eberhardt, Beloved Binge & Cantwell, Gomez & Jordan. I've heard the latter two bands' CDs, and I have to say that in both cases it's their best work yet. Beloved Binge are really perfecting their weird cadences and their "we both sing different things at the same time" thing, and fewer of the songs sound like two dissimilar songs chopped up & Frankensteined back together.

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan are so completely in control of their sound that there's never any doubt about who you're hearing, or about the intentionality of what they're playing, no matter how fucked-up it gets. Magisterial.

Saturday, April 5
Hearts and Daggers (http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ )
Boxbomb
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Pour House, Raleigh

Hearts & Daggers are an honest-to-goodness cowpunk band, although they don't have the '80s-style matching-black-denim sartorial discipline of their forebears.

Saturday, April 5
Honored Guests (http://www.thehonoredguests.com/)
Pico vs Island Trees (http://www.picomusic.com/)
The Modern Skirts (http://www.modernskirts.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 5
DJ Family Vacation (http://1200problems.org)
Bass Invadurrz (http://www.myspace.com/bassinvadurrz)
DJ Ron Morelli
$tinkworxx
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 5
Lake Inferior (http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic)
Our Velvet Revolution
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 5
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Once again Slim's provides a dose of the dark murky Chapel Hill/Carrboro sound to the starving ears of Downtown Raleigh.

Sunday, April 6
David Dondero (http://www.futurefarmer.com/davidd.html)
Dawn Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/dawnchorus)
Wood Ear (http://www.myspace.com/woodear)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, April 6
Athens (http://www.myspace.com/athens777)
A Legion of Thieves (http://www.myspace.com/alegionofthieves)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Monday, April 7
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Mount Weather
Health (http://www.myspace.com/healthmusic)
Downtown Event Center, Raleigh

Health (the semi-well-known one from California, not the criminally underappreciated one from Greensboro) were described to me as Krautrockish.

Savage Knights are a jazz/spazz/rock band from Raleigh with Crowmeat Bob switching off between guitar & sax. They're straight-up awesome.

Monday, April 7
Auxes (http://www.myspace.com/auxes)
Shag Athlete (http://www.myspace.com/shagathlete)
Hell, Chapel Hill

It's Hell's 11th-anniversary week, and all week long they're showcasing bands that feature current & former Hell staffers.

Tuesday, April 8
Auxiliary House (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/auxhouse.html)
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
The Chuttesville Speak
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is a benefit for Advocates for Grassroots Development in Uganda.

Tuesday, April 8
Anaturale (http://www.myspace.com/anaturale)
Athens Boys Choir (http://www.myspace.com/athensboyschoir)
Scream Club
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, April 9
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Dark Inside the Sun (http://music.ibiblio.org/pub/multimedia/puzzle/dits/)
The Whole World Laughing (http://www.myspace.com/twwl)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Maple Stave make mathy rock that's more of the "epic" than the "endlessly repetitive" variety. The Whole World Laughing are barely-controlled chaos, moreso than you'd expect of just two guys.

Wednesday, April 9
The Frequency
A is Jump (http://www.myspace.com/aisjump2)
Fujiyama Roll (http://www.myspace.com/fujiyamaroll)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, April 9
Michael Holland (http://www.bigjohnsrecords.com)
Sweet By and By (http://www.myspace.com/sweetbyby )
Pomegranates (http://www.myspace.com/pomegranatesart)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, April 9
Our Velvet Revolution
Hell, Chapel Hill

Thursday, April 10
Dark Inside the Sun (http://music.ibiblio.org/pub/multimedia/puzzle/dits/)
Projexorcism
Cab Caligari (http://www.subscapeannex.com/caligari/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, April 10
The Shucks with Christy Smith
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is the weekly Thursday Local Bands, Local Beers night. Christy Smith was in the awesome Raleigh country-rock band Nola, so I'm psyched to see that she's got a new thing going.

Thursday, April 10
Murder By Death (http://www.murderbydeath.com/)
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
O'Death (http://odeath.net/)
Kiss Kiss
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, April 10
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Turpentine Brothers (http://www.myspace.com/turpentinebrothers)
Limes (http://www.myspace.com/limesrus)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

I may not need to tell you that Spider Bags are a bunch of boozy country-rock ingrates. I don't know anything about the other two bands, but their names make the whole bill sound like good company (for each other--bad company for you).

Friday, April 11
Alias Smith & Jones (http://www.myspace.com/aliassmithandjonesband)
Spindale
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Friday, April 11 - Saturday, April 12
Signal Electronic Music Festival (http://www.signalfest.com/)
various locales, Chapel Hill

This is the third(?) year for the Signal Electronic Music Festival, which is pretty admirably wide-ranging, from more traditional DJ-oriented electronica to freaked-out blips-and-bloops & some crazy noise stuff. It's happening Friday & Saturday nights at venues all over Chapel Hill & Carrboro, including Cat's Cradle, Nightlight, Local 506, the Mansion, Tallula's, etc. Way too much to list here in detail, so check the lineup at the website.

Friday, April 11
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
Ettrick (http://www.myspace.com/ettrick)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

The best news I've had all year came last week in the form of an email from local label Holidays for Quince, outlining their release calendar for 2008. On the schedule: CDs from Caltrop, Curtains of Night and the animal-hatted bass/bass/drums/drums/freakout wall-of-genius In the Year of the Pig.

Friday, April 11
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone (http://www.tomlab.com/front/index.php?action=artist_detail&artist_id=4)
Clue to Kalo
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, April 11
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Jon Shain (http://www.jonshain.com)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Friday, April 11
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Fighting Poseidon (http://www.myspace.com/fightingposeidon)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Three youngish bands packed full of local-music veterans. Bull City boast not only Jim Brantley (ex-Ashley Stove) but also Scott Carle (ex-Dillon Fence). Fighting Poseidon guitarist Eric Mann did quite a few years in Kudzu Wish. And Simple frontman Chip Smoak did time in that extended North Elementary wooze-pop family.

Friday, April 11
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Joe used to be in Fake Swedish, though by now there are probably more folks who know him for his Volunteers, given their warm reception at places like the Carrboro Music Festival. Joe's still a wordy motherfucker, but his band's loping country-rock seems to hold the attention of even those folks who dislike a lot of words.

Friday, April 11
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Hell, Chapel Hill

It's still Hell's 11th-anniversary celebration week, and tonight features the bands of two former Hell staffers. Juan Huevos is a creepy-suave hip-hop persona; Transportation are rabid fans of 70s pop-artrock tropes, from Queen to Wings.

Friday, April 11
Proof (http://www.prooftheband.org)
Edmund II
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Proof are basically an entirely different band now than they were back when they emerged from the ashes of the taut, mathy Cole. Last year they added ex-Greatest Hits frontman Jeramy Lowe as a permanent member (he'd joined them briefly before when they became Fugazi for the King's Cover-Up, a seemingly impossible task that by most accounts they actually pulled off).

Saturday, April 12
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Guitar. Drums. What more do you need?

Saturday, April 12
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Horseback (http://www.myspace.com/horsebacknoise)
Nick Schillace (http://www.burlytime.com/artists/)
Eric Carbonara (http://ericcarbonara.org/)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is a CD-release for Detroiter Nick Schillace, who somehow hooked up with Durham's Burly Time Records. Also on the bill, the reclusive Horseback, the gorgeous drone project of the ever-busy Jenks Miller. And Megafaun, of course, who'll doubtless be asking you to sing & play with them, so don't act surprised when it happens.

Saturday, April 12
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
Caleb Caudle & The Bayonets
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 12
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 12
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Guitar Bomb (http://www.guitarbomb.com)
Claws of Paradise (http://www.clawsofparadise.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, April 13
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

This is the third time in a row that I've managed to book a band to play on the day after another gig. Thus far results have been mixed; the first band was kinda worn down, but then the second band was if anything *more* perky than normal.

Megafaun are such innate performers--the kind of folks whom you could easily imagine singing & playing their way through most of their daily activities, like a Hollywood musical, only with much more facial hair--that I suspect they'll just do what they always do, which is to play, beautifully.

If you come stand outside the station, they'll probably hand you some petit percussion and invite you in. 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Monday, April 14
Salt to Bitters (http://www.myspace.com/salttobitters)
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a 506 Free For All, which means that the admission and the secondhand smoke are both free.

Monday, April 14
Mowgli (http://www.myspace.com/mowglimowgli)
Church of the Snake (http://www.myspace.com/churchofthesnake)
Hell, Chapel Hill