ch-scene - Re: Reaper

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Reaper
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 08:08:40 -0400

Chris Rossi wrote:

We'll see how mixing goes this week, though. One thing Cubase does well (when it's working) is integrate with external effects taking into account all of the latency compensation. I don't know if Reaper does that yet, but I'll be futzing with it this week to find out.

I'm going to leave off here, since I'm obviously just having a conversation with myself now, but I will say that the external effects things works great in Reaper and is easy to do. I did have to look for it. Whereas Cubase rolled out this functionality with great fanfare and boasting and integrated it into their application, the Reaper folks merely wrote a plugin (ReaInsert) and threw it in with their other standard plugins. They didn't appear to find it remarkable, because I didn't find it in their documentation or listed as a feature on their website. But there it was, quietly doing exactly what I needed.

I'm actually getting pretty excited about this app--just playing with it this week I've found the workflow and ui to be better/faster than in Cubase and the platform to be more stable and better performant. It's easy to make it do what I want and so far it seems to have all of the features I'm used to using at Cubase and many of them are easier to use and less prone to crashing. My paying customers are likely to get moved to this sooner rather than later.

> I just spent about 30 minutes reading the Jesusonic documentation and
> just got a major geek buzz.
>
> http://reaper.fm/sdk/js/

And I've written some plugins already. Nothing special or complicated, but fun for getting my feet wet in jesusonic. The ring modulator I did last night. The other three are from Monday night after bowling.

http://spacelabstudio.com/js/

xoxox
chris