ch-scene - Re: Stuff to Do, Week of April 21, 2005 (CORRECTION)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "5er (martin)" <mdhall005 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to Do, Week of April 21, 2005 (CORRECTION)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:07:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

> Thursday, April 28
> Radar Brothers
> [http://www.mergerecords.com/bands/radar/bio.html],
> Hotel
> Lights, Lud [http://members.aol.com/~ludkmr/]
> Kings, Raleigh

Due to some sort of miscommunication between the
booking agent and the club, this show was listed wrong
on the King's schedule.

THIS SHOW IS ON WEDNESDAY, APRIL 27th.

So please come out and see Hotel Lights, Lud and the
Radar Brothers on WEDNESDAY NIGHT, NOT THURSDAY, at
King's in Raleighwood.

Radar Brother are from LA and on Merge Records. They
are absolutely three of the nicest. coolest guys I
have ever met. They play beautifully textured rock
with a distinct laid back so-cal vibe. Think maybe
Grandaddy or Acetone, with a bit more of a Pink Floyd
psychedelic vibe. They are brilliant, and I can't
wait to see them again.

Thanks!

-5er

> Hotel Lights are the new thing of ex-Ben Folds
> drummer Darren Jessee;
> their debut album was on a lot of top-20 lists last
> year, and deservedly
> so: it's a lovely survey of indie-pop styles, from
> slow/quiet/lush/mournful at one end to chugga-chugga
> ecstatic/vicious
> poprock at the other.
>
> Lud have a whole slew of material they're working up
> for their next
> album, and as usual it's a blend of spacious guitar
> instrumentals and
> third-person electric narrative anthems, all knit
> together by guitarist
> Bryon Settle's playing, which is so sublime that
> even the hardened
> punkrockers wish he'd play one more solo.

"A boy wants a car from his dad.
Dad says, first you got to cut that hair.
Boys says, hey dad Jesus had long hair.
Dad says, That's right son, and Jesus walked everywhere."
- David Berman/The Silver Jews