ch-scene - Re: Ray Davies shot in the leg and is ok.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <rossi AT webslingerZ.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Ray Davies shot in the leg and is ok.
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:26:18 -0500

bendy wrote:
Jeff Hart wrote:

i think ray davies has been pretty outspoken in his embrace of british
tradition. doesn't surprise me at all he's accepted a royal honor.
"arthur" was pretty much full of his philosphy on it.

See, I read "Arthur" as the exact opposite- how British tradition keeps you down, how smugness about the Empire, obviously crumbling around you, keeps you pat. Someone oughta make an American version.

I saw it as a series of character sketches, each with varying viewpoints on empire and tradition. With the author more of a mirror than a critic.

Village Green does espouse a certain amount of traditionalism but it seems to be a populist version--he lauds the village commons but doesn't have much to say about the court. So one wouldn't necessarily draw the conclusion that he was a staunch loyalist or had great feelings of love for the monarchy. But he doesn't attack it either.

Which, all I'm saying, I guess, is who knows? Maybe somebody should ask him.

rossi