cc-licenses - Re: Confusion over conflicting licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT digitaldistribution.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Confusion over conflicting licenses
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 14:24:14 -0400

Serge Wroclawski wrote:

Work A has an Attribution Non-Commercial
Work B has Attribution ShareAlike
Work C has Attribution Only

I can use Work A and C or B and C, but not A and B in the same work. A
and B are mutually exclusive, since to comply with B I must be
ShareAlike, and to comply with A, I must be Non-Commercial.

So now I must use Attribution ShareAlike Non-Commercial, or is that a sort
of "loophole" which makes me able to use Work A commercially as long as I
modify it first?

Nope, no loophole. Works A and B are incompatible and that's that. And only the copyright holders can do something about it.

Cheers,
Daniel.