b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Micrayim vs Misr

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Micrayim vs Misr
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 12:37:11 -0400

I think I have expressed here before my opinion that מצרים MICRAYIM
refers to the two narrow, צרים CARIYM, strips along the river Nile.

Isaac Fried, Boston University

On Apr 30, 2013, at 12:26 PM, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

During the brief discussion here of the etymology
of the name Misr ( Egypt in Arab.), nobody seemed
to remember that in the Hebrew bible this name
occurs only in the dual -Micrayim (or Mitzrayim).

Any theory about that? Is that a diachronic marker,
namely that the name was first used by Hebrew scribes,
when there was a division between upper and lower Egypt?
George, any opinion?

Uri Hurwitz