b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:50:12 +1000

Karl,

I think you’re confusing two very different periods here. There was no
Samaria during the Tel Amarna age, and Ben Hadad (whichever one of them we
are talking about) is much, much later.

In any case, the use of נער in this context suggests that the author sees
these officials as ‘new’ or ‘in training’ or in some way ‘junior’. I’d argue
that this is what makes the incident so remarkable: Ben Hadad was defeated by
the minor officials or trainees, showing just how ‘wet behind the ears’ he
himself was.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au