b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] How to pronounce the English word Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] How to pronounce the English word Yahweh
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:43:25 -0500

Hi again Oun.

This is my second reply to your question

You previously asked:

If I may, is there any summary I can find on arguments against Yahweh
as the pronunciation of the tetragrammaton?
Would it be less accurate than, say, Ye-Ho-Wa(h)?

Oun, your question is being asked by many English speaking Christians,
like myself,
but there doesn't seem to be any satisfactory answer being provided by
Hebrew Scholars,
or by other Christians,

Both names (Y)Jeho(W)Vah and "Yahweh" have their problems,
but they don't have the same problem.

Jehovah is taught by Hebrew Scholars to be an erroneous transliteration
of a legitimate Hebrew Word,
[i.e. Hebrew Word #3068] which occurs 6518 times in the Ben Chayyim
Hebrew text that underlies the Old Testament of the King James Bible.

The Scholarly complaint against the English transliteration
"(Y)Jeho(W)vah is not that it is an inaccurate transliteration of the
Hebrew letters found in Hebrew Word #3068,
BUT THAT THE MASORETES NEVER MEANT HEBREW WORD #3068 TO BE TRANSLITERATED

AS IT WAS WRITTEN!!!.

Hebrew Scholars insist on saying that the Masoretes placed the vowel
points of Adonai into YHWH and created a hybrid name that was never meant
to be pronounced as it was written.

Hebrew scholars insist that Hebrew Word #3068 is an example of what is
referred to as "Perpetual Qere" or "Qere Perpetuum".

Of course KJBO Christians have a problem with this definition , because
the Masoretes never placed the precise vowel points of Adonai into Hebrew
Word #3068. [i.e. The first vowel point in Hebrew word #3068 and the
first vowel point in "Adonai" are not the same.]
_____
_____

A different problem exists with "Yahweh".

The underlying Hebrew of the English word "Yahweh" is found in no extant
Hebrew Text on the planet earth. The Hebrew Scholar Gesenius, in the
early 19th century, proposed the Hebrew punctuation [yod-
patah-heh-silent shewa-waw-segol-heh] and offered it as a possible
original punctuation of the proper name of the God of Israel.
Of course Gesenius did not believe that Hebrew Word #3068 was actually
God's name, although he did acknowledge "up front" in his writings, that
the Masoretes had not placed the precise vowel points of "Adonai" into
"YHWH" to form what is considered by most Hebrew Scholars to be a hybrid
name.

So Oun, in a sense what I have written above is the controversy about
Jehovah and Yahweh in a nut shell.

Myself and many KJBO Christians question the Scholarly answer given by
many Hebrew Scholars that Hebrew word #3068 is a hybrid name that was
created by the Masoretes when they placed the vowel points of "Adonai"
into YHWH. Myself and many if not all KJBO Christians question the
Scholarly Answer, because the Masoretes never placed the precise vowels
of "Adonai" into YHWH, and scholarly sources are not consistent in
explaining precisely why the Masoretes did not indeed place the precise
vowel points of Adonai into YHWH.

Oun. You are not alone in asking questions about Jehovah and Yahweh.

Dave Donnelly
Small Business Tools
Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your
business.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=LW2ZuYQ5qxzUlp7egurrKwAAJ1BVGyITH_OGb159rldJgo3SAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMQAAAAA=