b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Arpachshad

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Arpachshad
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:39:06 -0700

Al:

My comments were about the spelling in context of how the spelling indicates
meaning, so actually included both.

Genesis 11:10–13 indicates that Arpachshad was an ancestor of Abraham,
though the last three letters of the name could indicate that he was an
ancestor of the Chaleans as well.

As to the word (RBH to which you thought there may have been a connection in
your first posting, its use seems to indicate a geographical feature, namely
a plain, rather than as a place name.

Karl W. Randolph.