b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ephod in Judges 8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ephod in Judges 8
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:26:21 +0300

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Vadym Zhuravlov wrote:

> This is exactly the point of my confusion. If ephod is a type of
> vestment, then I do not understand the meaning of WYZNW )XRYW and WYCG
> )WTW B(YRW (Judg. 8:27), while if the meaning of ephod is an image,
> then the sense of both expressions becomes clear.

See for example, the discussion here:
(Urim and Thummim, by Cornelis Van Dam, p. 147)
http://books.google.com/books?id=sjSTAVoTcr4C&pg=PA147

The book discusses the ephod in many aspects (just do a search for
the word) -- see for example here, where the Ugaritic cognate along
with Assyrian is discussed:
http://books.google.com/books?id=sjSTAVoTcr4C&pg=PA66

Yitzhak Sapir