b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] HITPAEL as mutual action
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:39:34 +1000

Karl,

I think I agree with your evaluation of Gen 42.1. 'Looking at each other' has
to have some kind of loaded meaning that conveys more than simply physically
looking at each other. But I think that's more a semantic and contextual
issue than a grammatical encoding of the Hitpael.

With Prov 20.2, HALOT gives the meaning of the Hitpael of (BR [II] as 'to
show oneself angry, excited, flare up'. The interesting thing here is the 3ms
suffix on the Hitpael participle. HALOT gives a couple of options for
understanding this: 'who brings his anger upon himself, or who infuriates him
(the king)'. The LXX translates it as PAROXYNWN AYTON, suggesting the second
option from HALOT. I wonder whether it is picturing an action whereby the
subject is expressing himself a little too forthrightly, thus provoking the
ire of the king.

Regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au