approtech - [approtech] Building insulation (posted to the Appropedia FB page)

approtech AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Appropriate Technology

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Appropriate Technology <approtech AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [approtech] Building insulation (posted to the Appropedia FB page)
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 06:35:27 -0400

(posted to the Appropedia FB page and the approtech list which is mirrored at the approtechnology blog, approtechnology.blogspot.com)
<>
I have direct experience with several types of insulation, having paid to have them installed in buildings on my property. I will try to post
some useful feedback asap. Basically it consists of a list of preferred types of material:
1) nontoxic, nonflammable, waterproof, UVresistant, hard setting i.e. structural Spray-On Foam Insulation: Icynene and Demilec are two brands I am familiar with.
2) Rigid foam board insulating panels, nontoxic, nonflammable,
in pressure strengths of 150psi to 600 psi. Brands include: CavityMate (blue) and Foamular (pink) from Dow, Corning, DuPont(?). Available sizes nclude 2'X8' and 4' scred)X8'
3) AAC Block, aerated, autoclaved concrete block. Brands include: Hebel and Aercon. Sizes and strengths: many sizes of panels, steel reinforced and blocks, different widths and lengths for load-bearing (with steel reinforced poured concrete beam as top course on walls) and non load-bearing walls (i.e. as cavity wall insulation, Ex.: between
exterior and interior load-bearing concrete block or brick walls.

I have used 1), 2) & 3).