aifia-education - [Aifia-education] IA Competencies

aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of IA education

  • From: "Victor Lombardi" <victor AT victorlombardi.com>
  • To: <aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Aifia-education] IA Competencies
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:07:55 -0500 (EST)

Interestingly I just received an email from a director of an IA program
saying "I could really use a list of competencies NOW." Per Livia's second
suggestion below, I'd like us to do some freelisting of what we think IA
competencies are. I can compile a master list later on, then we can see
what sort of categories come out of them.

Here's my quick list. Certainly not complete but what comes to mind first:

=== IA Compentencies ===

USER RESEARCH
* ethnographic studies, i.e. qualitative
* card sorting etc.
* quantitative studies

BUSINESS
* understanding of different business strategy models
* understanding of basic operations
* organizational psychology

COMPUTER SCIENCE
* understanding essential programming concepts
* knowing limitations of common info systems, i.e. databases and queries

INFO SCIENCE
* organization schemes and controlled vocabularies

HUMAN-COMPUTER INTERACTION
* user interface design for a couple different platforms
* mental models
* task analysis

INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE
* Navigation
* Labeling System
* etc., all Polar Bear stuff

INFO DESIGN
* Page layout
* Basic visual design concepts and skills

Also writing, ability to lead a group discussion, and problem solving.

What did I miss?

--
http://www.noisebetweenstations.com/