aifia-education - Re: [Aifia-education] Education is not about content

aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of IA education

  • From: "Livia Labate" <liv AT livlab.com>
  • To: "list_aifia-education" <aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Aifia-education] Education is not about content
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:05:45 -0200

: This is getting a little clearer in my head through our discussion.
: Perhaps when we talk about this subject we should make a distinction
: among competencies, methodologies, and philosophy.

I really like how you've split that up.

: should "aim higher than conveying content and skills as something we
: could or should do as instructors of IA." And yet I don't think we have
: much agreement on the basic competencies required.

Do you want to create a list of competencies? I think the *ideal* way would
be analysing the philosophy to see which competencies would be needed to
support it. That of course, is only possible in Utopia where we can sit
around all day and wonder about it :)

We could, however, take the statistical approach and gather all competencies
we can find (which are being taught or discussed elsewhere) and sort them
out in terms of relevance to that philosophy (impulsive classification is an
IA disease, is it not?).

Were you thinking of something like that? I didn't think you'd want to get
to the competencies yet, but discuss the philosophy first. Since that is the
reference to the competencies relevance I think it makes sense.