aifia-education - Re: [Aifia-education] Education is not about content

aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Discussion of IA education

  • From: James Spahr <james AT spahr.org>
  • To: <aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org> <aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org> <aifia-education AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Aifia-education] Education is not about content
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:42:53 -0500

On Nov 9, 2003, at 8:18 PM, Victor Lombardi wrote:

John Zapowloski recently posted this excerpt and link to another mailing list, but I'd like to get reactions from this list. Is aiming higher than conveying content and skills something we could or should do as instructors of IA?

I'd say so. It's all about teaching a man to fish instead of just giving him a meal.

I'm a huge fan of teaching people how to think -- especially in the field of IA, where for the immediate future, change is a certainty. Teaching the how's of IA and not why we do the things we do is a sure way to establish a non-evolving profession.

James.