[pleurothallid-l] Automation

Bell-Games, Tom tbellgames at burnip.com
Fri Dec 30 12:13:56 EST 2005

A couple of additional components to this fellow's set-up was aluminet
shade cloth that was installed inside the greenhouse.  This was laid on
cables that would pull the cloth out to help cool the greenhouse.  This
was set to activate when the temperature rose to a certain set point.
It would then retract when the temperature dropped below a second point.
This was extremely effective.  You could feel the difference quite
quickly.  In the winter, here in the Midwest we often have many cloudy
days followed by one day of pure sunshine - nice and cheery, but
potentially deadly for our plants.  My friend also found that if it was
very cold, he could use this to help hold in some of the heat in the
evening.  He also installed some automatic roof vents.  I believe these
had wax cylinders that functioned hydraulically.  I think the way these
worked was that when the wax heated, it expanded causing the vents to
open.

By far the most important piece of automation, to my mind, was a
telephone dialer.  This was set to trigger on high and low temperatures.
He had programmed maybe four different phone numbers into this so that
it would contact someone even if he was out of town.  There are so many
horror stories of folks that have lost power, then the pipes freeze,
heating system shorts out, then you're left with a total loss...  These
systems are not cheap, but when you think how much you have invested in
your plant collection, it seems like good insurance.

This was a wonderful greenhouse and he was a great grower.
Unfortunately, even with all of the automation, it was a good deal of
responsibility.  He finally decided to retire from orchids and now the
greenhouse is no more.

Tom