[pleurothallid-l] humidification systems

Linda Sedlacek lmg6534 at garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Thu Dec 29 13:43:38 EST 2005

Hello Tom,

            I live in balmy Florida, so humidity is not as big of an
issue for me.  Heat however is a problem.  I have noticed that I can
keep some less-than warmth-tolerant orchids alive by keeping them in
dishes of water during the summer.  My pleurothallids actually sit in
little lids of water for most of the summer.  It sounds odd, but it
works.  In the winter of course this method is discontinued.
Pleurothallids do not like to have their feet wet if it is cold outside.
(Some rotted pleurothallids in my collection will attest to this
statement.)  In the winter, it is very dry here.  So, I let them sit in
water for a few hours in the mornings.  This little trick has been
successful for the year or so that I have grown pleurothallids.  I wish
you luck with the humidity issue, it is a difficult one.

Linda Sedlacek
Tallahassee, FL