[permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact

Bob Waldrop bwaldrop at cox.net
Wed Dec 23 12:46:48 EST 2009

Regarding the need for an "organization" to "lead" the permaculture
movement. . .

I am not so sure.  I continue to think that one of our strengths is our
total decentralization, even admitting the risks therein (such as problem
teachers etc).  Organizations consume resources and energy and are not
risk-free endeavors.  "Big Organization" can facilitate e.g,. the hijacking
of the movement for partisan political ends, dilution of the message,
re-writing of the message, etc.  It also seems likely to me that Big
Organization would inevitably subvert the present universality of the
permaculture movement.  "Universality" referring to our ability to speak to
and interact with everyone, not just those that are politically or socially
correct by the present definition of the "Organization".

The model of underground rhizomes and above ground runners works quite well
in natgure.  I think its worked well for the permaculture movement.   I'll
find the discussion at Chaordic and post something more substantive about
this after Christmas.  (A link pointing to the discussion would help.)

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
www.barkingfrogspermaculture.org
www.energyconservationinfo.org