[permaculture] Lupines and their uses.

Dieter Brand diebrand at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 05:18:49 EST 2009

Larry,

in the South of Portugal, yellow lupines (with yellow flowers) are grown for N-fixing and white lupines are grown for eating.  Both are sown in October or November as soon as there is enough soil humidity after the dry season.  The small (black and white) seeds of the yellow lupines can be broadcast into the stubble without too much losses, even though farmers usually plough before sowing.  The white lupines (with larger white seeds) need to be covered by soil or they will be eaten by worms.  Both can be cut for mulching or ploughed under as green manure at flowering in May.  For harvesting the seeds, you need to wait until about July. The white lupine seeds are pickled and eaten as a light snack when drinking beer.  Fava beans are also grown in the same time period.  Fava beens need to be sown deeper than white lupines (1 to 2 inches) or else black birds and craws will pull them from the soil when germinating.

Dieter Brand
Portugal