[permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Fwd: article - Shoppers flock to farmers' markets

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 04:21:42 EDT 2007

I think this is on the whole good news, but where I live I have seen a negative side of farmers markets in California. The control of the market in my town has been taken over by out of town farmers who literally staged a coup.  The rules allow in one case have prevented a local organic farmer of Asian greens from selling at the market to protect a non-local, non-organic farmer who travels about 400 miles every week to sell their produce.  This is becoming the norm at bigger California Markets as more and more farmers truck produce up and down are large state to sell at "local markets."  I don't think this is a sustainable trend, and at least in some locations is perverting the intent of the makets as large farms with bigger staffs are gobbling up space at more and more markets.  Small family farms don't have a chance against this.