[permaculture] Politics and Permaculture

Primal Parent primalparent at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 15 01:45:25 EDT 2007

permafrog wrote:
"It seems some people have little understanding of what politics
is....Politics is how we order society and meet the needs of society's
members."

well if we look at the actual definition of 'Politics' then (according to
merriam-webster) politics is "...The Science of Governing" with governing
being generally accepted as "...To Rule Over by Right of Authority"

when a government decides (read: dictates) what resources go where, then the
people become dependent on the government. whenever there is a break-down
anywhere in the chain then those people are helpless. a break-down can be
anything from speculative stocks, to a coup, to a dockworker strike, to peak
oil, etc.  when a society is built upon the use of non-renewable resources
then (eventually) it will hit the wall. that is not "permanent" therefore
not perma-culture.

but when those same people are allowed to self-govern within the limits of
their bioregion, then history has shown that they will evolve to a "societal
balance" in regards to their ecosystem. sometimes referred to as "climax".
while a top-down approach (having leaders take pc courses) sounds very
noble, it fails to address the root cause and therefore, will allow this
system to continue on (until it hits that wall or eats itself).

permaculture for me has always been about balance, self-sufficiency, and
food independence. local groups slowly pulling away from the beast and
spreading and connecting with other local groups creating a web, or better
yet, a saftey net.

the historian howard zinn was once asked if he could get only one point
across to the average citizen what would it be. he replied,
"ALL...GOVERNMENTS...LIE..." he didn't say republicans, or democrats or
leftists or fascists or conservatives or marxists or liberals. he said ALL.

and i believe that to waste one's energy in pleading to an abstract
financial institution which has no ethics or principles and exists only on
paper is similar to the old metaphor about the two individuals who were in a
car zooming around a mountain curve when the brakes went out. they were
fighting over whether to steer to the left or the right when they crashed
through the guard rail and over the cliff. and as they flipped over and
landed in a firery crash there was a group of indigenous folks watching. one
said, "man i'm glad i got outta that car earlier". the other one said, "i'm
just glad i never got in it." the last one asks, "what the hell is a car?"

to say, "i'll support (insert politicians name here)  until i catch him in a
lie" is naive and absurd. learning how to "prune fruit trees" (as someone
put it) might not be as interesting as political gossip, but it is a step
away from such hopeless - and ultimately suicidal - dependency.