[permaculture] Question about solar panels

KNat knat at sprintmail.com
Tue Jul 24 12:20:59 EDT 2007

Lisa Rollens wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me.  I have access to
> most of the parts for a solar water heating system.  I already have one,
> though, and am wondering if there is a different use for this kind of a
> setup.  The system I have is new as of last summer and has round tubes for
> heating the water.  I don't know what this other system has, but they are
> not plain multi-use solar panels and the system is not new.  As a matter of
> fact, the owner said it would cost more to fix the system than buy a new
> one.  Anyone have any ideas?  I can already see how little I know about what
> is available, so I will try to find out more.

Salvaging those "not worth fixing" systems is most often a very sweet
deal. Usually it's a pump or something that is technically very minor
and easy. Even when the problem is foggy glass the efficiency is
decreased, not zero. If not too odd a size, replacement can be pretty
cost effective or just use more panels (not an issue if they're
free/cheap anyway.) The new tubes are nice but the old panels still work
and either way the heat source is free. (I deal Apricus, what brand is
yours?)
Caveat- it is very easy to acquire a yard full of units if you do not
have ready installation help and places to install them.
(had to add that because some people here know my life in person.)

Peace,
Kathyann