[nafex] [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture?

Bob Randall YearRoundGardening at comcast.net
Mon Apr 20 10:46:12 EDT 2015

I have had excellent results in southeast Texas stacking grapes—both muscadines and Euro-American hybrid bunch grapes on 8-10 ft trellis wires, with blackberries staked  and topped at 5 feet underneath and sweet potato spinach understorried below the blackberries.  The sweet potato ground cover was suggested by Bill Mollison in a conversation in the early nineties and it works well. The grapes here do not get much in the way of leaves until most of the spring blackberry fruiting is done, and the sweet potato spinach dose not need a lot of light.

Sweet potato spinach is a relatively little know sweet potato cultivar with inedible roots that do well in soils that ordinary sweet potatoes do poorly in.   It is popular here in Asian communities and like all sweets, is easily reproduced from cuttings.

Bob Randall
Houston