[nafex] NAFEX on Facebook

Lawrence London lfljvenaura at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 08:37:18 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Andre Pierre <hello at protocol6.com> wrote:

> Sites like Facebook and Google are not *just* convenient tools. They are
> big corporations that often (usually?) have questionable patterns of
> behavior.
> To use them, and to actively encourage others to use them, is to endorse
> such behaviors, or at best to turn a blind eye to them.
>
> For Facebook the list is pretty extensive and in my view damning:
> https://stallman.org/facebook.html.

I did not realize what FB was up to until I read this news today:
<>
Ello’s thinly veiled rebuke to Facebook: ‘Your social network is owned by
advertisers. Every post you share, every friend you make and every link you
follow is tracked, recorded and converted into data.’

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) — There has been a lot of chatter on social
media this week about a new social network called Ello, which is getting
buzz for its anti-Facebook Inc. stance. But is the start-up, which accepts
no advertising and does no data mining, ready for prime time?

Ello has apparently been gaining such a huge influx of new users that its
servers were having problems in the past two days, despite the requirement
that you need an invitation to join. As Ello tells users who visit its
simple, clean, black-and-white site: It has a “manifesto.”

“Your social network is owned by advertisers,” reads Ello’s “about” page.
<https://ello.co/wtf/post/about> “Every post you share, every friend you
make and every link you follow is tracked, recorded and converted into
data. Advertisers buy your data so they can show you more ads. You are the
product that’s bought and sold. ... We believe there is a better way."

<>
--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura at gmail.com