[nafex] looking for a hardiness listing of peach rootstock

Jolyn jolyn at tctwest.net
Wed Sep 24 10:05:53 EDT 2014

We normally see lows to -30 in my area and I have seen -42 during the 37
years I have lived in this area.  My property is windy and unprotected.   I
don't believe it is the winter lows as much as the extreme temperature drops
we sometimes get in early October.  These drops seem to affect mostly trees
that are young.  Lovell, Bailey, St. Julien A & Mariana 2624 rootstocks have
all survived when the grafted (usually young) tree on them has died.  I do
not presume to know the reason for this but it has only occurred the 2 years
the temperature dropped so much the first week in October.  We do have
wildly fluctuating temperatures during the winter but I haven't experienced
very many losses when that occurs.
Jolyn