[nafex] sub zero

Dr. Lucky Pittman lpittman at murraystate.edu
Thu Feb 6 18:04:19 EST 2014

And, WHEN it gets cold.
Spring of 2007, we had a very mild March, with an extended run of warm
temperatures, sometimes up into the 80s - most things had broken dormancy,
and some things had as much as 8-10 inches of tender new growth - when we
got 4 consecutive nights of temperatures into the 'teens at Easter.
DEVASTATING.
Many of my grafted persimmons - including Americans - were killed back to
the ground.  ALL Carpathian walnuts were killed back to the black walnut
rootstock, some 10-yr old seedling butternut and Japanese walnut seedlings
were killed outright, others back to ground level.  Surprisingly, most of
the Asian persimmons had not broken dormancy and were undamaged.
Even big mature oaks and hickories in my woods were killed back to the main
trunk; limbs bigger than my sizeable thighs were killed off.

Lucky Pittman
Hopkinsville, KY
1/2 inch of ice, spitting snow, single digits forecast for tonight.