[nafex] nafex Will organic compost and mesic conditions promote fire-blight in pear?

Alexander Brands abb7 at Lehigh.EDU
Sat Mar 17 20:50:04 EDT 2012

> Message: 6
> Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 01:22:53 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Steven Covacci <filtertitle at aol.com>
> Subject: [nafex] Will organic compost and mesic conditions promote
> 	fire-blight in pear?
> To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
>

> If I plant pears in my garden bed (where I always add compost and
> uncomposted fruit/vegatable scraps), and is always moist in spring
> and fall, will the conditions promote fire-blight in the pear trees?
> No synthetic fertilizers, etc.
> Thanks,
> Steve

I don't see why it would promote Fireblight, but it may promote scab.
The traditional preventative practice for scab is to clean up all
debris under the tree in the fall.  I suppose it's not an issue if the
cultivar is not susceptible to scab.

Alex