[nafex ibiblio list] pear-quince compatablility

Scott Smith scott at cs.jhu.edu
Fri Jan 13 09:22:26 EST 2012

This list is good for older cultivars, but for many pears its hard to find out.  Look and see if Cummins or Tierra Madre Farms nursery is selling it on quince, thats one way, or just do an interstem on the graft to be safe.  I did all my unknowns with quince-compatible interstems this last spring and every single one took.  I did a whip and tongue on the scion to an interstem scion and immediately grafted that onto the quince.  For many fruit types such a one-shot interstem has low odds but pears have such good odds that it works out well.  I got this idea from Lucky.

Scott