[nafex ibiblio list] Autumn Olive

Jay Cutts orders at cuttsreviews.com
Tue Jan 10 12:57:43 EST 2012

Thanks, Matt. Some good points to consider. I don't think it would be a
pollinator issue. There's lots of Russian olive around and they always
set fruit. I imagine they use the same pollinators. It could just be
that we have too much cold weather when they are flowering but, hmm,
wouldn't Russian olive also be affected? Could the two species be that
different in their flowering times? Could it be that certain specimens
are just not good fruiters for some reason?

I think I'll try another autumn olive variety from One Green World and
see if that plant sets fruit or possibly helps my original plant set
fruit. I'm also going to try Shepherdia, which, unlike Eleagnus, comes
in male and female varieties.  Hey,maybe somebody slipped me a
Shepherdia instead of an Eleagnus when I ordered my first autumn olive.
I did finally find out how to distinguish them. Shepherdia has opposite
leaves and Eleagnus has alternate.

Anybody else have any relevant experience??

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)