[nafex ibiblio list] Eleagnus umbellata, Autumn Olive - interested in sources for seedlings of this plant

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 8 10:13:28 EST 2012

On 1/7/2012 11:07 PM, Idell Weydemeyer wrote:
> Some autumn olive are much tastier than others. Some are very
> tart/astringent and others are sweet. I have 5 named varieties, one unnamed
> one  and one that is evergreen. My two favorites are Charles's Gold and the
> evergreen one that I have named Florence Strange for the woman who gave it
> to me. All but 1 of the named varieties are from Hidden Springs nursery in
> Tennessee--but they are phasing them out since they are considered a pest in
> that area. Mine, However, have never set one seedling and I have had them
> for at least 12-15 years. I live in the dry west in near the coast in
> northern California.

Thanks very much for this information, Idell. I will contact HS to
purchase the variety you recommended. Also, I would be satisfied to have
a wild variety shown in the video I posted a link to. I imagine that
came from the upper midwest, maybe Wisconsin.

Found this  with a Google search:

Order Plants - Hidden Springs Nursery
www.hiddenspringsnursery.com/plants.html
In Spring, they have pretty bell-shaped flowers and,in Fall, the foliage
is a .... "Celeste" (also called TN Mountain) - medium to small fruit
with a tasty rose pulp. ...
Contact - Hidden Springs Nursery
www.hiddenspringsnursery.com/contact.html
Address Hidden Springs Nursery 170 Hidden Springs Lane Cookeville, TN
38501. Email (the best way to reach us)
hiddenspringsnursery at hotmail.com. Web ...
Hidden Springs Nursery
www.hiddenspringsnursery.com/
At Hidden Springs Nursery, our primary objective is not to make huge
profits, but to provide plants we feel good about and to make an honest,
simple living.
Place page - Write a review
	170 Hidden Springs Lane  Cookeville, TN 38501-9178
(931) 268-2592