[nafex] NAFEX security

Alan Yelvington alany at semparpac.org
Sat Dec 1 12:20:19 EST 2012

Hello all,

I actually READ the monthly update that
ibiblio.org sends out each month about the
list, and I was unpleasantly surprised to see
that the email includes both my email address
and password.

I have professional experience in I.T.
security, and this is a very old behavior
that is considered a worst-practice by
today's standards.

_I strongly recommend that all of you create
a password that you use exclusively for
ibiblio.org lists until they change their
practice._

Very bad (and very smart) people sit on the
Internet and harvest these kinds of emails,
and it's not at all difficult to grab the
entire batch in one swoop and harvest all of
the email accounts and passwords.

_How many of you have one password for
everything?_  I thought so...

The bottom line is that the bad guys can
search for matches with vendors, and try out
your NAFEX password to buy on your behalf.
That, or they hijack your email account and
use it to spam your friends.

It's that simple.

No sense having a complicated password when
ibiblio.org emails it to the world.

I could go on about how it's also bad that
ibiblio.org actually has access to your
password, but why belabor the point...

_Anyway, change your password to something
unique to NAFEX unless you're a risk taker_.

Al Yelvington
Russell, PA