[NAFEX] elderberries stem toxicity

Evan kodama at riseup.net
Sun Aug 28 07:52:28 EDT 2011

Last year when some friends of mine and I were sitting around a pot pulling elderberries off the stems from our harvest, lots of small stem pieces ended up in the pot. I made mention of the stems to the others, having heard of this toxicity, but my fellows all indicated it was no matter and too much trouble to try to get every last bit of stem out. However, we cooked the elderberries and it made fine syrup & cordial. Perhaps cooking destroys whatever toxin is present.

Evan