[NAFEX] University researchers working to perfect haskap berries for Canada (Vancouver Sun)

Sarah Kehler Ewing skkewing at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 00:19:09 EDT 2011

I like all the Honeyberries/Haskaps and while there are noticeable differences in shapes, sizes and ripening dates, I'm not seeing much differences flavour wise.  Maybe some of them are a bit sweeter, but pick any of them a day or two early and they will all taste terrible.  The Haskaps are a larger berry, but they are all so much bigger than our native Saskatoons/Pin Cherries/Choke Cherries that there is no point in complaining about the 'smaller' ones.  Don't get me wrong, when they are properly ripened, I love them all out of hand, in jams, in smoothies, in pies, in cakes, in muffins, on ice cream, in crisps....  And living this far North, you have got to love something that is so frost hardy.  My only problems with growing them is that I hate the work of netting them which you have to do or they will all be eaten by the birds (but that is worth it to me) and the bushes are so brittle I have to make sure that my dogs
 don't make their patrol paths beside them because one winter of deer chasing by a bush took it from 4' tall to 6" tall.

We have Blue Belle, Berry Blue, Blue Bird, Blue Velvet, Blue Pear, Borealis, Cinderella, Opal, Polar Night , Polar Jewel, Svetlana, Tundra, Wild Honey, Honey Sweet, Indigo Treat (9-91), Indigo Gem (9-15), Indigo Yum (9-92) and about 150 seedlings from the above.  This might just produce more than we can eat next year!
 Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB