[NAFEX] Best time to transplant trees/shrubs: Fall or Spring?

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:56:42 EDT 2011

S. WI, a county or 2 NE of Steve H, I've been using autumn transplanting more & more.  Tree survival & next year's growth is about as good as waiting til the "correct" springtime planting.  But, I may be lucky in that the years I've transplanted the most, we've had decent snowfalls before the ground freezes.  I try to mulch well too, but that means good vole protection required.

For me it depends on other autumn plans vs spring plans.  How busy will I be with other work which MUST be done at only their season?

Our recent autumns seem to be warmer than the past, and leaves are hanging on longer, especially the nursery stock.  I fertilize only lightly & only til mid July, but still might have leaves on stuff I want to transplant, into early Nov.  I'm finding good success with transplants moved late but before they look fully dormant.  Water thoughly!

(Hey Steve!  How's the tree?  Another of the same combo I gave to a Madison yard died above the graft this year.  And one I kept isn't growing...)