[NAFEX] apricot won't break dormancy

Ginda Fisher list at ginda.us
Sat Jun 5 17:33:13 EDT 2010

Update:  We were out of town for a couple of days, and I got back and noticed that the apricot has some leaves, and other buds are opening up.  It's been both warm and wet, so perhaps that's what it needed.  It certainly doesn't look like a vigorous, happy plant, but I think there's a decent chance it will survive after all.

I vaguely recall the first one I bought was also very slow to break dormancy (only the first year), and it did fine, until something killed it last year.

My guess is that John S is right, and the problem is that it was stunted by root damage when it was dug up and shipped to me.  In fact, I noticed that the tree didn't have all that much root (as compared to the top) when I planted it.  I didn't notice root damage, especially, but all bare-root trees have some root damage.  This one must just be more sensitive to it than the typical apple.

I guess it's just as well I hadn't gotten around to complaining to Burnt Ridge about it, yet. Wish me luck with it.  Fresh apricots were really nice.  :-)

Ginda

On May 8, 2010, at 11:12 PM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

> Thanks.  It keeps raining around here, so perhaps there's still hope.
>
> Ginda
> eastern MA, zone 6
>
> On May 8, 2010, at 10:25 PM, Sarah Kehler Ewing wrote:
>
>> I had that happen to an apple a few years ago. I planted a dormant tree in May and nothing happened when everything else was fully leafed out.   My mother-in-law told me to keep pouring the water on it (rain is a sore topic up here the last few years) and wouldn't you know it: the stupid thing leafed out in July!  I thought it had died for sure!  The tree is doing fine and hasn't had a delayed emergence like that in the 4-5 years since.
>>
>> Sarah
>> zone 3
>> Edmonton, AB

>>> Ginda