[NAFEX] ornamental trees

Richard Wagner rewagner at centurytel.net
Sat Jan 30 13:47:07 EST 2010

There is a thornless, fruitless cultivar of Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera) named 'Whiteshield'. Although I have not seen it I have grown the native tree. It is hearty and disease resistamt.with glossy leaves.

When I lived in central California the 'Purple Robe' cultivar of Robinia pseudoacacia was popular. It does offer a nice show of spring flowers. I am going to plant two myself this spring.

Both are hardy to zone 5.