[NAFEX] cornus mas

Lee Reich lreich at hvc.rr.com
Sat Jan 16 16:50:54 EST 2010

I am not a big fan of Cornus mas fruits but from giving a lot out for
tasting, I have found that about 40 percent of the people really like
them. The flavor varies quite dramatically with ripeness or how long
they've sat after being picked. I do like the tree because it blossoms
very early, stays in bloom for a weeks and weeks, always has good
fruit set, and the fruits are ornamental in and of themselves. I have
a variety called Black Plum that I think is better than most others
(but I'm still no great fan of the fruit).

My uncommon fruit book has a whole chapter on Cornus mas. It also has
a very interesting history.

Lee Reich, PhD
http://www.leereich.com/
http://leereich.com/blog.html.