[NAFEX] Wild(?) pear question

Richard Harrison rharrison922 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 3 11:26:57 EDT 2009

Jim,
    a description of the tree would also be in order. However, based on your description of the fruit, it sounds like p. calleryana(which is usually, but not always, very thorny. Bradford, for example, is not thorny). Some folks here(I have heard) make jelly from them. However, they are so astringent that most folks won't even try. I have never eaten any jelly from them, but the fruits will certainly turn your mouth inside out!
                                       Richard