[NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing mulberry

William C. Garthright billg at inebraska.com
Tue Sep 1 18:44:45 EDT 2009

> *Supposedly* mulberries can be rooted - their 'cousin' the fig is easy to propagate that way - but I've never had any success with dormant-collected cuttings,

That's a shame, because the wild ones grow like weeds around here -
literally - and I've had nothing but trouble trying to grow named
varieties. I thought about trying to find a good-tasting wild tree and
rooting a cutting from that. (Since they vary so much in taste, there's
a good chance I wouldn't be too happy growing a seedling at random.)

Of course, I'd still have the problem of them wanting to grow too big,
but I like the idea of pollarding.

I've already got more fruit than I can possibly eat, but I do love
mulberries. And now that I've cut down my Illinois Everbearing Mulberry,
I've got the space to plant something else...

:-D

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. - David Hume