[NAFEX] Why pine needle mulch is best

Jim Fruth jimfruth at charter.net
Wed Oct 28 09:35:11 EDT 2009

Jim Nottkel wrote, "I conclude that "acid-loving plants" like pine needles
(and pine sawdust) for some reason other than acidity"

    A major reason why pine needles may be the best mulch is because they
tend to be hydrophobic.   When it rains, the very top needles get wet but
generally not those farther below.  Most of the rain passes through them to
the ground.  With all other mulches I have worked with, the ground gets no
moisture until all of the mulch is thoroughly saturated.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN  56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: