[NAFEX] sour sweetish cherries.

Matt Demmon mdemmon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 18:58:54 EST 2009

I'm going to be asking a series of questions relating to variety
recommendations, because we've finally got around to laying out our
orchard on our land after 3 years and are ready for some serious fruit
planting. I thought I would start with the sour cherries. I want a
smaller tree that only get's 12 feet high and wide. I like tart
cherries even for fresh eating in general, but I've heard that some of
the newer pie cherries have some sweet in them and are even better for
fresh eating, but I get all the bali/meteor/north star/danube cherries
mixed up and forget which is which. Anyways, if anyone has any
recommendations for a naturally dwarfish cherry tree that's suitable
for a z5 se MI climate, on soil that transitions from clay loam to
sandy loam with decent moisture below the surface, in an orchard that
will not get any sprays except for possibly Surround, let me know!
I've got space for two. Looking for any opinions on taste, hardiness,
productivity, disease resistance, longevity, etc.

-matt
z5 se MI

--
-matt demmon