[NAFEX] Subject: rootstock suggestions for apples and pears

Pete Tallman pete_tallman at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 9 19:47:50 EST 2009

Fluffy one suggests M26 apple rootstock, but this is usually regarded as too fireblight susceptible. Try Bud-9 or Mark, which have worked well for me here with amended heavy clay and fireblight pressure. There are also some Geneva rootstocks coming along ("in the pipeline") which were bred for fireblight resistance - check the Cummins Nursery catalog; maybe G-11 for now? For your area, I concur with M27 and M7 depending on what size tree you're looking for. (For me, M27 is a bit too weak or small here.) There are those who don't like Mark because of "root zone proliferation", but I'm reasonably happy with what I have.
Pete TallmanLongmont, CO
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141664/direct/01/