[NAFEX] Growing Amelanchier

Richard Moyer ramoyer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 20:31:24 EST 2009

Here in NE TN/SW VA, our favorite Amelanchier has been an unnamed A.
canadensis offered by Lawyer's Nursery.  Heavy yields, good flavor, no
rust.  This compared to 6-8 named cultivars also growing at our place.

Agreed with Donna that the almond aroma and flavor makes it worth cooking
the fruit.  We prefer muffins.

We make annual pilgrimages in August to pick 'Juneberries' at 5000 ft in the
southern Appalachians, while picking blueberries and wild gooseberries.
These native Amelanchier also very tasty.

'Jennybelle' an A. obavalis (sp?) selection, also done very well for us.
This has a tree form.

Richard Moyer