[NAFEX] black currrants and persimmons

Judson L. Frisk JLFRISK at IOWATELECOM.NET
Fri Nov 6 10:12:49 EST 2009

I have a Early Golden persimmon and do enjoy eating them raw.  They taste
similar to butterscotch to me.  I try to wait until they drop on the ground
and are fully ripe.  This year with our cool wet summer they are not
ripening well.  Judson L. Frisk SW Iowa zone 5

My aunt always made a Persimmon Pudding (similar to a heavy pound cake) that
was good with ice cream or whipped cream.

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Kieran &/or Donna
Sent: Friday, November 06, 2009 8:02 AM
To: Ginda Fisher; North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black currrants and persimmons

People who've grown up with persimmons don't eat them underripe.  Likewise
people who've grown up with black currants don't eat them raw.  Ditto for
potatoes.  I've tried and tried to come up with a familiar parallel, but we
seem to all have this idea that if it's fruit, it must be good to just pick
it and eat it.  Quinces are not for eating raw, but Americans aren't very
familiar with them either.  Any other, preferably familiar, fruits that have
to be cooked to enjoy?   Donna

07:38:00